Mahamudra and Guru Rinpoche Daily Concise Practice Retreat Malaysia 2018
Kyabgön Phakchok Rinpoche
Thursday 8th March, 2018 to Monday 12th March, 2018
Our teacher, the precious Buddha, taught a great variety of different paths and gave many different teachings. One of these was Mahamudra, the Great Seal, the essence and peak of all dharma teachings, the supreme path of practice which leads the practitioner step-by-step to direct recognition of mind’s true nature.
The specific Mahamudra text that Kyabgön Phakchok Rinpoche will be teaching, the Amrita of the Essential Accomplishment, belongs to the Taklung Kagyu lineage. The teachings of the Kagyu were passed down from the dharmakaya Buddha Vajradhara to the mahasiddha Saraha, and then to Maitripa, Tilopa, Naropa, Marpa, Milarepa, and Gampopa. One of Gampopa’s main students was Pagmodrupa, and one of Pagmodrupa’s main students was Taklung Tanga Tashi Pal (1142-1210), “the one with supreme devotion”. He was the founder of the precious Taklung Kagyu lineage which has been transmitted without break down until the present day. In Tibet, the main seat of the Taklung Kagyu is Riwoche in Kham where the lineage is upheld and passed on by three main masters: Kyabgön Shabdrung Rinpoche, Kyabgön Jedrung Rinpoche, and Kyabgön Phakchok Rinpoche.
This precious text, the Amrita of the Essential Accomplishment by the Taklung Kagyu master Gelong Ngawang Tashi Paldrub, condenses all of the Buddha’s teachings into a single gradual path that guides the student step-by-step. Short, precise, and easy to practice, it explains succinctly how to traverse the path from the outset of the four mind-changings up until essential Mahamudra, the peak of all of Buddha’s teachings. The text not only teaches different meditation techniques, but is also adorned with priceless pith instructions and teaches different methods for overcoming various obstacles that can occur in one’s meditation practice. Therefore, it is a teaching that is deeply beneficial both for beginners and also for more advanced practitioners.
Thukdrub Barché Künsel, the concise manual for daily practice is a treasure concealed by Guru Rinpoche. This genuine, secret profound treasure revealed by the great revealer, Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa. This is the most concise practice, yet possesses great blessing especially for the practitioners in this age. It is a practice of Guru Rinpoche and his emanations; the wisdom and samaya deities in a one single mandala.
The teaching by Guru Rinpoche himself about this practice:
The practitioner of true simplicity; to practice this essential daily practice.
Should, in solitude, gather all the branches, that make one a fit vessel for meditation.
Then, through one pointed samadhi, engage in the meaning if deity, mantra and wisdom.
Rinpoche suggests that all students prepare for this program by following Rinpoche’s online course on Samye Institute in which he teaches the various stages of shamatha meditation. Ideally, it would be best to start practicing these teachings now in order to develop some practice experience and sincere questions prior to the retreat. You can access the course at https://samyeinstitute.org/course/path-of-meditation-level-one/
For New Retreatants:
Rinpoche will lead participants who are participating in this retreat for the first time through the four mind-changings, the four foundations (or preliminary practices), and then through the detailed stages of shamatha with and without focus taught in the text, including natural state shamatha. Practising these different techniques of meditation enables us to gain mastery over our minds and lays the necessary foundation for the ensuing practice of vipashyana, the pointing-out of the true nature of mind.
For Returning Retreatants:
Having covered the four mind-changings, four foundations, and different types of shamatha meditation during the previous retreats, this year Rinpoche will move on to the second part of the text which teaches vipashyana meditation, and finally Mahamudra itself—essential emptiness dharmadhatu meditation. Rinpoche will also unravel the priceless pith instructions that are taught in this text for overcoming obstacles in one’s meditation practice.
Rinpoche will also bestow the empowerment for Luminous Bindu, a very unique and blessed guru yoga and gathering offering (tsok) practice for the eighty-four mahasiddhas and Vajradhara. The eight-four mahasiddhas are the condensation of all the great male and female masters of India. Therefore, this empowerment and practice contains great blessings. This precious practice is from the Taklung Kagyu lineage and was composed by the great master and visionary, Jedrung Jampal Jungney Rinpoche after having a pure vision of the eighty-four mahasiddhas.
Retreat Fees inclusive of accommodation for 5 days/4 nights, 3 meals, 1 coffee break per day and practice materials.
New Retreatant (additional RM100 for practise text and materials):
Single Room – RM1,250.00
Twin Room – RM900.00
SIngle Room – RM1,150.00
Twin Room – RM800.00
Please note that retreat fee is non-refundable. It is transferable.
(Please ensure that you specify that all bank charges are to be borne by payer)
Beneficiary Name : Persatuan Dharma Rangjung Yeshe Negeri Perak
Bank Name : Hong Leong Bank Berhad
Bank Branch : Pasir Putih
Bank Address : No. 579 & 579A, Jalan Pasir Puteh, 31650 Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia
Account number : 176-000-10163
Swift Code : HLBBMYKL
PAYPAL (additional 5% of processing fee)
Paypal account: [email protected]
Single Room – RM1,313.00
Twin Room – RM945.00
SIngle Room – RM1,208.00
Twin Room – RM840.00
PARTICIPANTS INFORMATION KIT
Schedule is subject to change without prior notice. Please check schedule at the entrance from time to time. Please note that once the retreat commences, participants are not allowed to exit from the hotel premises till the end of the retreat as this will be a closed retreat. All meals (breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner) will be provided in-house by the hotel, which is already included in the retreat fees paid.
|DAY||DATE||DESCRIPTION||START – END|
|Start of Retreat||3pm – 9pm|
|Friday||09-Mar-18||Daily Program||6am – 10pm|
|Saturday||10-Mar-18||Daily Program||6am – 10pm|
|Sunday||11-Mar-18||Daily Program||6am – 10pm|
|Monday||12-Mar-18||Daily Program||6am – 11am|
|Checkout from Hotel||11am – 12pm|
|End of Retreat|
Recommended Packing List for Participants
Things to Bring
- Original Bank in receipts, Remittance receipts (to help us reconcile our accounts, if you have not submitted)
- Katas (white silk scarfs traditionally used for greeting and offering to Rinpoche)
- Light jacket/shawl, the function room might get cold
- Personal Toiletries
- Tooth brush, toothpaste. Hotel will provide towels.
- Indoor socks and house slippers, if you want to wear something more comfortable
- Rangjung Yeshe Chant book
- Luminous Bindu Sadhana, Mahakala Prayers, Concise Daily Practice of Guru Rinpoche, Concise Smoke Offering texts (Year 2 onwards)
- Stationery (pen, pencils and papers / notebook)
- Simple first aid kits/ personal medication
- Snacks (instant drink mixes like 3-in-1 coffee, tea, cereal; biscuits; fortifying/cooling herbal drinks such as chrysanthemum tea and the like), if necessary
- Thermos flask or water bottle for your own drinks, if necessary
- Chanting desk (optional)
- Tsok offering (optional). Participants can also invite pre-packed tsok offering prepared by the organisers.
Hotel Details and Map
Heritage Hotel Ipoh
Jalan Raja Dihilir,
Tel: +605 – 242 8888
Email: [email protected]
From Kuala Lumpur:
- Follow LEBUHRAYA UTARA – SELATAN (North South Highway) E1 toward Ipoh (180km).
- Take Exit 138toward Ipoh/Sg. Siput/Jelapang
- Follow Route 240 and A13 to your destination (7.9km)
- You will reach HERITAGE HOTEL Jalan Raja Hilir, 30350 Ipoh
- Follow LEBUHRAYA UTARA – SELATAN (North South Highway) E1 toward Ipoh (140km).
- Take Exit 141toward Ipoh/Sg. Siput/Jelapang
- Follow Route 240 and A13 to your destination (12.9km)
- You will reach HERITAGE HOTEL Jalan Raja Hilir, 30350 Ipoh
From: Kuala Lumpur International Airport
Duration: 3.5 hour
Fare: RM 42 (approx. US$ 10)
Drop off: Aman Jaya Bus Terminal
From: Aman Jaya Bus Terminal – Heritage Hotel (14km) by Taxi / Uber – Fare estimate (RM 18)
Timetable: 15 departures from KLIA / 15 departures from Ipoh to KLIA
Online booking: http://www.yoyo.my
KL SENTRAL (Intercity Train)
Duration: 2hr 20min
KL Sentral to Ipoh Railway Station
08:00am / 10:35am / 02:30pm / 04:25pm / 08:55pm / 10:20pm
Ipoh to KL Sentral
05:05am / 07:25am / 09:00am / 11:35am / 01:15pm / 05:55pm / 07:55pm
Ipoh Railway Station à Heritage Hotel (3.3km)
Online booking: http://www.easybook.com/en-my/train/booking/klsentral-to-ipoh
Fare: Between RM 20 – 25
From: 06:45 am till 23:55
Pick up Point: Kuala Lumpur – Terminal Bersepadu Selatan / Hentian Duta
Drop off Point: Ipoh Aman Jaya à Heritage Hotel (3.3km)
CODE OF CONDUCT
All participants are required to adhere to the following code of conduct for the smooth running of this retreat.
- Keeping noble silence throughout the day will deepen your retreat experience.
- Please be mindful that any small noise is amplified in a silent room.
- Please turn off cell phones, beepers and other electronic devices before the teaching and practice sessions.
- Please stand up when the teacher enters the room. When the teacher is seated, kindly prostrate.
- Please abstain from all improper conduct in body, speech and mind
- During all sessions, it is recommended to sit with spine straight.
- Please do not lie down or sleep during the teaching and practice sessions.
- Please do not wear strong perfumes
- Please remain in the room until the teacher has left.
- While moving, please see that the person sitting next to you does not get disturbed.
- Please attend all classes as each class contributes to the next.
- Please come at least five minutes before each session or class begins.
- Please do not waste food as it is blessed.
- Please do not use any intoxicants like cigarettes, alcohol and drugs etc. during the course period.
Extra helpful hints
- For better concentration, the bladder should be empty and the bowels evacuated.
- For safety, always keep your valuables and documents locked in the hotel safe if available.
- While leaving the room, see that it is properly locked. The organizers will not be responsible for any mishap.
- Please do not bang the doors, play music, sing or hum.
- If you suffer from any serious disease or illness, please intimate in advance.